Saturday 5 May 2012


A FAVOR




                    The bright yellow sun was shining brightly as the ray penetrated through the window in my office. I looked at the window and smiled calmly. As I was about to tidy up my things, I had come across a piece of picture in my drawer. It was a photo of me a woman and a man. One of them had a blonde shoulder length hair and a pair sparkling blue eyes while the man had a short black hair and a pair of green eyes. “It’s been five years, Rei…Kimi… who ever thought that things would turned up this way?” I whispered while smiling as I held the picture. I shook my head and kept the picture into my bag. I stood up and went to my car to fetch my wife. As I drove the car, the memories of me and my friends rush through my mind.

                        It was a bright and sunny afternoon. I was walking to the cafeteria. As I walked to the cafeteria, someone bumped in to me. I look at that person anxiously and saw a woman.  “Oh, dear! Are you okay?” I asked anxiously as I kneel down and tried to help the woman to stand up. The woman looked at me anxiously. “I…I…” she startled. I looked at the woman curiously. As I was about to held the woman’s shoulder, suddenly, I heard footsteps running towards me. As i turned around, I saw a man running towards me angrily. “Stay away from my sister, pervert!” the man shouted and gave me a punch on my cheek. I was threw a side near the wall. “Why did you do that for?!” I scolded him while moaning painfully. “Ah! Rei! It’s not his fault!” the woman scolded her brother. The woman sank on her knees and held my cheek. “I’m really sorry!” the woman apologized. ”Hang on… So you’re not going to do something bad to my sister?” the man asked curiously. I stood up and looked at the man angrily. “Of course not, idiot!” I exploded while knocking his head really hard. The man moaned painfully. The woman and the man invited me for lunch as to show they were very sorry.

                       “I’m sorry… it’s really my fault!” the woman apologized. “It’s really not a big deal” I convinced her with a heavy sweat. “My name is Kimiko Honda. This is my brother, Reichi Honda.” The woman introduced themselves. I looked at them curiously. “Are you two… sibling?” I asked with a shocked. “Yes!” Kimiko answered cheerfully I looked at Reichi curiously. Reichi looked at me angrily. He was probably still mad at me for knocking his head really hard. But hey! It’s his fault! I looked away as I can’t meet his gaze. “So, what’s your name?” Kimiko asked while smiling happily. “My name is Hiroyuki Takaya. I’m from the business department.” I introduced myself. “I’m from the education department and my brother is from the research department.” Kimiko explained as she curled a sweet smile. We chatted and ate our lunch together.

                    We had been friends for almost three years now. I started to like Kimiko but I didn’t have a gut to tell her because I know… that she only love her brother and there’s no room for me in her heart. Although, I’m really impressed with Reichi. He really was a protective brother. I didn’t think that Reichi would let me get near his sister. But I was wrong. That guy already knew how I felt towards his sister.


                     One night, I got a call from Reichi. He asked me to see him in a café near our university. I grabbed my keys and went to the café quickly. As I went into the café, I saw Reichi, sitting beside the window while daydreaming. I approached him and sat against him. He looked at me and smiled. “So what is it that so important that you want to talk about? Can’t you wait until tomorrow?” I asked while yawning. “It’s really important. It’s a matter of life and death.” Reichi said while smiling. I was dumbfounded and was startled. “What…What do you mean?” I asked. “I want to ask a favour. I really hope that you could help me. You’re the only one I trust.” He pleaded. I only looked at him curiously. Reichi drank his coffee and looked at me with into my eyes. I could see that his eyes were filled with sadness and pain. “Please take care of Kimiko for me.” Reichi pleaded. I was speechless and petrified for a moment. “Just now, I got a very bad stomach ache. I only thought it’s just a stomach pain, but after I went to the doctor…. He said that…” Reichi paused. He couldn’t continue. He only hung his head low. “… He said that I have cancer.” Reichi whispered. I was really shocked. I almost dropped my jaws on the floor. “You’re… joking… Right?” I startled. Reichi looked at me gloomily and shook his head. I was speechless and hung my head low. “I know… it’s a bit of a burden to you… but please… do it for our sake…” Reichi pleaded. “Did Kumiko know about this?” I asked gloomily. “No… I didn’t tell her yet. I don’t want her to freak out and worry about it…please Yu.” Reichi persuaded me. “But why me?” I asked curiously. “You like her, don’t you?” I was dumbfounded. I looked at Reichi and blushed. “How did he know?” I whispered to myself. Reichi smiled and drank his coffee. “I already know about it, Yu. That’s why I want you to take care of her when I’m gone…” said Reichi. “Is your cancer in the first stage?” I asked anxiously. Reichi shook his head. I looked out at the window gloomily. “I’ll give you some time to think about it.” said Reichi as he put some money on the table. He stood up and left the café. “What should I do? What can I do?” I asked myself. I was in daze and didn’t know what to do. I decided to call it a night. I paid up the bills and went straight home.

               The next day, on a hot and sunny afternoon, I met the Honda’s in the cafeteria. “Hey, you two…” I called them as I sat against Reichi. “What’s wrong, Yu? Are you sick or something?” Kimiko asked me anxiously. I managed to curl a fake smiled as I looked at her. “I’m fine. I’m just a bit tired, that’s all” I explained. “Well that’s not good you know… You should always take a good care of your health.” Kumiko advice. I only nodded while smiling. “Hey, Kimi, why don’t you order some drinks for us. Kumiko nodded her head went to order some drinks. I looked at Reichi while smiling gloomily. “I’ll do it.” I whispered. Reichi was dumbfounded and looked at me curiously. “I’ll take care of Kimi for you…” I explained. Reichi smiled happily. His heart was overwhelmed with joy. “… But on one condition” Reichi looked at me curiously. “What is it?” He asked curiously. “You need to promise me that you will call me if you’re in pain again” I said firmly. “Deal!” said Reichi while smiling. We both shook hands and chat about Reichi’s plans. He gave me a brown envelope while smiling. I looked at him curiously. “Take it. Use it for Kimi’s study. I really want to see her happy.” Reichi confessed. I shook my head and took the brown envelope. “You can count on me…” I said cheerfully. “Thanks a lot, Yu.” Reichi thanked me. “Don’t mention it. After all… what are friends for?” I smiled while winking at him. As Kimiko approached us, I kept the brown enveloped into my bag quickly. The three of us had lunch together happily.

              It’s been a month since Reichi told me about his problem. I was very worried about his health. As I was about to get into my house, suddenly, my phone rang I picked it up quickly and was shocked when I heard someone was crying. It was Kimiko. “Hey! What’s wrong, Kimi?!” I asked anxiously. “Yu… It’s Rei… He … He…” Kimiko was startled. “What’s wrong with him?!” I asked anxiously. “He’s gone… Rei is gone…” Kimiko explained. I was dumbfounded. My eyes started to become watery. I dropped my keys and my bag on the floor. “He collapsed when we were going home. He already pass away when we reached the hospital.” Kimiko explained. “Where are you Kimi?” I asked anxiously. “I’m still in the hospital.” Kimiko answered. “Wait there. I’ll come to you right now.” I picked up my keys and my bags. I closed the door quickly and took the cab to the hospital.


                 It was a gloomy night. The stars were scattered and twinkled like diamonds on the dark sky. The queen of the night didn’t show up as if she knew that something that was misfortune happened to us. After the funeral, I sent Kimiko home. She only hung her head low and didn’t speak a word. I started to felt guilty. I stopped and called her named. She stopped and looked at me curiously. “I’m sorry.” I apologize gloomily. Kimiko was dumbfounded. “What do you mean?” Kimiko asked curiously. I explained to her about Reichi and about Reichi’s favour. “Why… Why didn’t he tell me?” Kimiko asked. Pearls of tears started to roll down her cheeks. “He really loved you, Kimi. He didn’t want to see you sad nor cry.” I explained to her. “He lied to me… That idiot! He promised to me that he won’t leave me just like father and mother! I don’t have anyone in this world right now… Why is everyone that I loved left me?” Kimiko poured out her feelings. I approached her and held her shoulders. “That’s not true…” I persuaded her with a soft and soothing voice. She looked at me with her watery eyes. I held her face and wiped her tears while smiling calmly. I knew that I shouldn’t show my sadness in front of her.  “You still have me… I won’t leave you alone… I promised.” I released my gripped. “I know… That I’m not as good as Rei… but I promised him that I’ll take care of you when he’s gone. I’ll try my best to help you out, okay?” I asked while smiling. Kimiko started to break into tears. She nodded her head. She couldn’t control her emotions anymore. There’s agony and pain written all over her face. I hugged her, almost crushing her into my chest, trying to comfort her. She hugged me tightly and cried openly. “Don’t worry… Everything will be fine now…” I whispered to her ear, trying to convince her with a soft and soothing voice while stroking her hair gently. I let her cried in my arms in a wee hour. My black coat was socked with her tears. I persuaded her to go home while whipping her tears with my white handkerchief. She nodded and tried to hide her tears by wearing her smiling face. I held her hand tightly and sent her home.

                 The memories of Reichi and Kimiko started too faded away as I reached the school gate. The car’s door was opened and my wife got into the car. “Hubby!” She greeted me cheerfully and kissed my cheek. “How’s your day, Kimi” I asked curiously. My wife looked at me angrily. “I told you not to call my name.” Kimiko sulked. I laughed as I watched her childishness and pinched her cheek. “She never changed…” I whispered to myself. I tried to persuade her.  “How was your day, honey?” I asked. She looked at me and smiled happily. “It’s fine. Just a bit tired that’s all.” She explained. I drove the car and went home. Kimiko and I were married two month ago. I knew that this was what Reichi want for his sister. I will take a good care of her… that’s my promised to Reichi.

No comments:

Post a Comment